McMillan is a creative B2B agency. We specialize in brand development and campaigns for clients around the world, and we’re looking for a designer to join our team.
Our brand and campaign work comes to life primarily through online channels and customer experiences, so if your most recent undertakings had you thoroughly immersed in online culture and digital marketing methodology, read on.
Designers at McMillan are more than just paragons of charm and expertise. The role requires you to design everything from responsive websites to online advertising and trade show materials. You’ll integrate omni-channel concepts with technical graphic design elements while pushing the boundaries of the digital landscape.
In your role, you’ll report to a creative director. This position does not require the management of other personnel (you’re off the hook on that one—for now).
You’ll be tapped to exercise a broad range of skills that go well beyond impeccable aesthetic judgment and proven design expertise. Your most important day-to-day responsibilities will require you to:
- Demonstrate strong interpersonal skills and an ability to brainstorm, collaborate, and communicate effectively with colleagues, content owners, and other internal and external stakeholders
- Conceptualize and develop designs for campaigns that span digital and social media, as well as some offline elements
- Display a disciplined attention to detail, particularly while working under pressure to meet quick turnaround times
- Be self-motivated and able to work independently, with a reputation for effective deadline- and project-management skills
In all areas, you’ll need to be a patient listener and confident communicator with a firm grasp of established goals and metrics for shared success.
It starts, of course, by carrying out your responsibilities in a way that adds value. You take design seriously (yourself less so), and you’re driven to produce top-quality—even award-winning—work. Most important: you’re an enthusiastic team player.
But there’s something else. All employees at McMillan are expected to strive towards being recognized as sought-after, trusted advisors by clients and colleagues alike. That recognition is earned by displaying:
- Curiosity – You show a genuine interest in clients and coworkers and ask tough questions (when appropriate) to inform, explore, and encourage fresh perspectives and solutions. At the same time, you seek to continuously widen and improve your own knowledge and skills, while also expanding your competency in other disciplines within the agency, so that you can generate ideas that are both strategically informed and creatively unexpected.
- Expertise – You combine expert proficiency in your role with industry-specific awareness. You also exude confidence, yet know when receiving constructive feedback is important. In fact, a critical part of the McMillan culture embraces both giving and receiving feedback in the moment, to make all of us better people and turn good work into something that’s great.
- Service – You communicate clearly, stay calm under pressure, anticipate the needs of others, respond promptly to requests, show a sincere desire to build relationships, and prove yourself to be a reliable, go-to player on the McMillan team.
- 5+ years’ direct work experience as a graphic designer on primarily digital projects
- A passion for design that borders on the obsessive, combined with an understanding of the latest graphic design methods, techniques, and principles
- A high level of proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite, along with a strong working knowledge of content management systems, HTML, and CSS
- The ability to analyze technical information and interpret ideas visually
A solid understanding of intuitive site functionality, interaction, and user-centred experience design and digital marketing, and skills in creating compelling motion storytelling, whether through advertising or video, will be considered assets
You should expect
Travel may be required—overtime, definitely.
Think you have what it takes? Then we want to hear from you. Just fill out the application below, and if you’ve got what we’re looking for, we’ll be in touch.